I LOVE our 9-tray Excalibur dehydrator!
It came with 2 books – a shorty and a longy – with easy instructions on how to use, clean, etc.
Don’t go with anything less than 9 trays or you will be sorry…
The only thing I do not like is the fan noise. It is not overly obtrusive, but it is “there” all the time. We are considering putting it in a less-used room of the house.
The model we bought is Excalibur 3900 Deluxe Non-Timer Series 9 Tray Food Dehydrator – Black.
We have made: jerky, dried mushrooms, apples, bananas, apricots, peaches, strawberries, grapes, tomatoes.
What we learned first time out with:
- Jerky: We sliced it to thin to begin with, so it came out too dry.
- Grapes: When the book says to blanch something to hasten drying time, do it! The first time it took 3 days to make raisins. The second time, I blanched them, and it took about 22 hours.If that sounds like a long time, really it’s not. You put them in, walk away and forget it. There is nothing to do in the meantime unless you want to check on them.
- Apples: Nothing to them! I thought that they might come out crispier, but leathery is the word of the day on most fruit.
- Bananas: Same as apples – I thought I would be making “banana chips” like you’d get at the bulk food store, but heads up that is not what you get…They are good.
- Tomatoes: What a great way to preserve them! Add them to soups, etc. whenever you need an extra kick. No more wasted tomatoes!
- Mushrooms: We are still working on this one. The first batch seemed great to start with, however, after a week in the cupboard in a glass jar, they began to ferment. Apparently not dry enough!
- Apricots: Turned out sooooo yummy! They were the same consistency as you would get at the store, but NO sulphur! And super tasty!
- I almost forgot about the cherries! Oh my – super yummy!
- And can’t forget my husband’s bread making. You can use this machine for rising dough. It worked great.
Cleaning: The dehydrator sheets are dishwasher safe, so that has been a breeze, and the trays are fairly easy to rinse off in the sink. Who likes to cleanup? No one. So it still might seem like a hassle at times.
I highly recommend this dehydrator. Let me know if you get one – or have one – and what you are using it for!
Interested in having us try out your product? Please contact me!